Question
Posted by: Rip | 2004/11/18

Please suggest

I have had 40 years of inactivity (misdiagnosed with rheumatic fever at the age of 5 and excluded from all exercise since). I recently started running and have a very disciplined approach - reading about it and following a very rigid program - running 3 times a week (5 x 3 minutes with 1minute walking inbetween).

My problem (or at least the way understand it) is lactate buildup in the leg muscles. Literature suggests that stretching will ease the problem and that Yoga is the way to go.

Please realise that I come from very low base and will not venture out amongst others to exercise, yet. Please suggest a book (manual , DIY type -with lots of diagrams and explainations) which I can use.

Many Thanks

Expert ImageYoga

Hi Rip - firstly congratulations on your progress and disciplined approach, your story is an inspiration! I agree that yoga is the way for you to go. It might be good for you to try a few styles and teachers (everyone is a beginner anyway and most people have enough to focus on on their own mat). These days most bookstores will have a range of good books on the subject. I would recommend two in particular - firstly BKS Iyengar's "Light on Yoga" is like a bible of postures and has a great deal of detail as well as pictures. Also, look for Beryl Binder Birch's "Power Yoga" which is the official yoga programme of the New York Road Runners Club and it deals quite extensively with things like typical running injuries. Good luck!
All the best
Chris