Question
Posted by: Stud-ent | 2005/12/03

Please participate

Hi everyone, so often I hear people complain about discrimination and prejudice and all kinds of problems we experience but we never get a chance to do anything about it. I just completed the research questionnaire on this site (the red font on top of this page) and it seems as if this research project will supply incredible information when it is completed, but they need lots of gay and lesbian people to respond, especially from the Western Cape. So I'm asking everyone else to do the same, its anonymous and only takes a few minutes. When it comes out the report will be very interesting.

Expert ImageGay, lesbian and bisexual expert

Hi Stud-ent and thanks for posting. Many people find participating in research projects (especially completing questionnaires) tedious. However, we as a gay and lesbian community must admit that we have very little documented research on our lives and issues that affect us directly. We often complain that our rights are not being respected or that we're discriminated against by straights, and we blame straights for being ignorant about our issues.

This research project is very significant, in that it will allow us (Triangle Project and UNISA's department of applied psychology) to produce reports that highlight several gay and lesbian issues.

As you quite rightly stated, at this point we're particularly interested in hearing from gay and lesbian people in the Western Cape. We're also very keen to hear from gays and lesbians aged 16 - 24, and coloured lesbians aged 25 - 40.

The project closes on 19 December but please respond as soon as possible. The link to download the questionnaire appears on top of our forum's home page.