Question
Posted by: J | 2006/11/14

Please, need more information reg. Yoga!

Hi there, this may sound very dumb, but I would like to know more about yoga. What are the benefits? Does it help when I'm trying to lose weight and I am eating healthy and working out regularly?
Can anyone do yoga? What if I can't do it? I know it sounds stupid, but I want to give it a try and feel that I should just know as much as possible before trying it!
Any advice would be great!!
Thankx!!

Expert ImageYoga

Hi J - the only dumb question is the one that isn't asked so thank you for your queries. Yoga can be translated as the union of mind and body - really its a set of tools and techniques that you practise in order to bring balance and harmony into your life. This balance is reflected in the physical body as well as on a mental, spiritual and in a reduction in stress level. Anyone can do it - just remeber to keep focussing on your breath, choose variations of postures that are appropriate for you and never push into pain. Over time you develop a great deal of strength, flexibility and endurance through the postures and this may lead to weight loss but more importantly you will be far more aware of the body choices you make, as well as how to break existing patterns and limitations. Ultimately though it is an experiential thing so don't worry too much about the theory - find a studio/teacher and a class and just do it - changes will happen.
All the best.
Chris