Question
Posted by: HIV Virgin | 2007/12/08

Please help... worried

I am in my mid-20's now. I was a virgin all my life, believed in having sex only after marraige. Until exactly 1 year ago.

I met this girl, we had couple of drinks, and I thought "Oh well, if not why not, just wana konw what it feels like". So we did it, protected and unprotected sex. The next day I was feeling so guilty and ashamed of myself, wasting my virginity, just like that. We never made contact with each other ever again. I felt physically sick after all happened (but nothing was wrong), all in the mind. Im sensitive guy and I get upset quite easily.

NOW the question. Nowadays there are alot of AIDS/HIV awarness things goin on. I've actually been thinking, maybe I have it? I have no side-effects or anything, but I read that you dont notice at first.

Im living a different life now, wondering/worried if I do have it. ive only had sex that one time, and if I DO have HIV... I dont know what I will do or think...mess up my life with one stupid mistake..

1) If I take blood test, will it show if I have HIV or not? 12 months is more than enough to wait to test?

2) If I find out I have it, what is my next step? :(

Can you please share your opinion. Much appreciated.

Expert ImageTeen expert

given your age could you please post your question to our Cybershrink here at Health24.

Many thanks

1
Posted by: Maria | 2007/12/08

Please do get tested. You are right that after 12 months the test will be conclusive. If you test negative it will set your mind at rest. If you test positive the sooner you start on meds and positive lifestyle changes, the longer you will stay healthy. Before you get tested the sister will give you some counselling, and if the test comes back positive they will help you with the next step. People with HIV can live full, satisfying lives if they get the right treatment. It is really much better to know than to keep wondering about it.

Reply to Maria