Question
Posted by: Roxy | 2004/11/15

Please help me - My friend suffers from depression.

I have a friend who suffers from depression. I really want to help him through this.

Where do i start?
Please help me to help him.
Ok ive started with a few things telling about how great life is and i'm really trying hard to keep him positive.
I know it's easier said than done, but i'm not gonna lose this friend.

If this is a real Depression, the sort of support and encouragement you describe could help, but ONLY after he has seen a proper shrink for a proper assessment, and has started on proper gtreatment for Depression, if indeed that ist the problem. The best treatment could include medication and/or expert counselling. In that context, your support could be most valuable. On it's own, it probably won't be enough.

1
Posted by: Shaun | 2004/11/16

Hi Roxy,

I would agree with you that if feels like a rather helpless situation when you care so much for a person & want so much for that person to be happy, but you find your efforts not bringing about many results. Please know that you cannot do much for him until he wants to change. Until he wants to be lifted out of his depression.
It seems like you maybe doing as much as you can right now, coz I feel that giving him support & being there for is the best way to help him right now.
Also, try show recognition & appreciation. Sometimes just telling a person how great life is doesn't mean much. You know what they see, seeing is believing. & here I would say experiencing may do him some good as well. Meaning, all the great things you talk to him about, try doing some of those things with him. Try make him "see" that life is worth much more than he thinks & has more to offer when he makes an effort to grab some of interesting aspects of life.
I am of the opinion that you should show & join this person in fun things that make him feel happy. Things that bring him the sense of pride. Sometimes, even helping others in a needy situation has the effect of bringing one out of one's shell.
Remember though, the best way to a longer lasting solution is that you suggest to him to seek the professional counselling he needs, & he must want to do it himself.

Regards,
Shaun

Reply to Shaun