Question
Posted by: Bee | 2008/08/06

Please help me!

Hi all

We go the most beausdtiful biulldog puppy on Saturday and its like a dream come true. We' ve had bulldogs since I can remembver and now my husband and I bought our own one.

I know she misses her mother, I know its going to tike time for he to adjust but I am so scared and petrified that I' m not a good mom.

My parents last bulldog had to be put down as she became enile and had seperation anxiety in the worst degree ever. But she was totaaly spilt and probably raised as a " human"  more than a dog. She never learned to be alone.

So now my questions - cause she is only six weeks old, we are taking her to a cute puppy day care. Everyone says that locking puppy inside or outside the house for the entire day is so cruel, which is why we deciced to take her to puppy day care.

Today is her third day. She was a bit anxious the firts time I dropped her off, and the woman sais she cried. Yestreday was better and well, we' ll see about today. Is this a good thing for her, its like creche for children surely? So I feel good about it, although deep down like I' m just leaving her there and its not like I can even ask her is she' s enyouing it? How do I know she likes it and if she is still a bit anxious, surely she' ll adapt?

Then the question of crying in the night - she cried about three times, I then stand up (when it gets worse, the crying I mena) and hen I mreley take her outisde to do her thing and put her back in her basket.

I want to rasie a healthy dog, shower her with love yet learn her to be independent.

Do you think I' ve been successful so far and any other suggestions?

Thanks, I will really appreciate your feedback.
xx

Dear Bee

If the day care owner knows her stuff she will sort you out. Sometimes people need a bit of training and not the dog. Youre already doing the right thing with the day care. Relax.

3
Posted by: Bonnie | 2009/03/21

My African Grey got scared by the cleaning lady. When we come near him, he screams. What must I do to tame him down again. Please.

Reply to Bonnie
Posted by: Bee | 2008/08/07

Thanks so much for your feedback and advice, please also assist in the following regard -

I am not sure if I like the current day care place, too many puppies and they don' t communicate on her progress, what happens etc. Also not sure if I like set up. There is another day care thta contacted me, also close wit work, that charges much less, they are animal behavourists and they only accommodate 10 puppies.

So - can I go check it out and see what I think and if needed be, rather take her to the new day care? or will this in total be a total new adjustment for her (don' t even think shes happy where she is now).

Till what age should I take her to day care? Do I take her every day of the week or only a few and then if she stays at home, is she going to cry all the time and hate us for leaving her alone?

I would really appreciate exact instructions -

Puppy care (current or new one) five times a week till she is 3 months. Take her home and don t fret too much about her, let her play on her own and rather talk to her to pick her up all the time and hug her. If we go for a braai, although she is only 6 weeks old, do we leave her at home or take her with?

Thanks so mcu, sorry that I' m so paranoid, just new to all this!

Reply to Bee
Posted by: Chill | 2008/08/06

Sounds like you' re doing ok - I would agree that a 6 week pup is too young to be left alone the entire day.

The worst thing you can do is overload your dog with attention all the time. This whole separation anxiety thing is caused by people, it' s not some mysterious dog affliction that just comes out of nowhere. A dog needs to build up an awareness of itself in the world, as an independent entity - if you' re CONSTANTLY fussing and pampering and cuddling, then it won' t be able to do this, and then it will panic if cut off from its ' lifeline' .

So, MORE love isn' t better. Of course this pup is important, and of course you want the best for it - but let it be a dog, not a baby, and realise that it' s quite capable of standing on its own feet without you ' helicoptering'  over it all the time. That' s the way to raise a happy, healthy, well-adjusted dog!

The crying at night story happens to every pup - understand that your job is to enable the pup to come to realise that its bed (or kennel, or crate, or whatever) is its safe den, and focus on this aspect, rather than training her to use it as an opportunity to manipulate you into paying her more attention. That means hardening your heart - don' t respond to every squeak, and don' t pick her up and cuddle her - just soothe her and then leave her to go back to sleep.

Oh, and PLEASE go to puppy school in a few weeks, once the vaccinations are all complete. You' ll learn a lot, you' ll enjoy it, and most important, the pup will be properly socialised, which makes all the difference in the future.

Reply to Chill