Question
Posted by: sharn | 2007/04/27

please help I need some advice

Hi i'm 18 and just matriculated via home schooling as I had to drop out of school from severe anxiety.I couldn't handle being so lonely and developed bulimia and anorexia which I have now had for 5 years.I've been in and out of rehab and I still can't get on top of my bulimia.It's out of hand, I steal to get money and hide food in my room.I feel out of control but don't want to ask for help again.I know it's possible to do this on my own with the help of God I just don't know how to start as I am too scared to let go.I am socially isolated and am tired of my anxiety over food, where and how i'm going to binge.I even go to the shops, buy and eat food in the cubicles and then throw up.I'm disgusting and I know it.I want so badly to do dietetics and to be happy healthy and successful with friends and a relationship with God.I want to help people realise food isn't happiness.I don't think i'm intelligent enough to do dietetics and I would need to do maths and science.They say I shouldn't do it because it may bring you down if you suffer from an ed.I feel passionate about doing it and feel hopeless at the thought of my dream not coming true.What do you think?

I understand that you feel reluctant to do so, but why assume that you somehow should NOT "ask for help again" --- asking for help is not a weakness in a person ; it's refusing to ask for and get help when one nees it that is a weakness. In life we all use a range of forms of assistance, from using a car to travel long distances rather than walking, through using a lift ( elevator ) and so on. Using expert help to get through a difficult situation is sensible and commendable. You're probably intelligent enough to do many things, including dietetics ; but first you'd need to get over this foo problem you currently have, as it takes up far too much time and energy ; and then maybe a different field would be better, one that didn't steer so close to your own vulnerabilities. But if you feel srongly that you want to do it, see conquering the ED as the first step towards achieving that dream --- obviously you couldn't credibly advise other people about dietary matters while you still had an ED, but once having got beyond the ED, you could have a useful degree of authority in helping others deal with this and other problems.
CBT counselling as well as help from a shrink or program with a special interest in ED should enable you to regain control of the food issues that currently plague you

3
Posted by: sam | 2007/04/28

Hi sharn,

I matriculated last year too and the last few years of my high school carrer were also very unhappy. I developed terrible social anxiety and missed a lot of school at the beginning of grade 11, but i evetually found the right tranquiliser that didnt make me a complete zombie like the others did - i was totally out of touch with life and i had given up all hope. But i guess you could say i was lucky cos i had a very understanding school that was very supportive. Im sorry you had to leave school because of this, but at least you were able to get your matric and for that you should be very proud of yourself. My life started falling apart around the beginning of high school, when i started going anorexic, although i didnt really realise it because when i looked in the mirror i saw the same ugly person as always. One day i snapped and couldnt take the comments any more (like "your ribs are sticking our") so i used food to comfort myself, the opposite of what i was trying before. But i was never diagnosed by anyone as having anorexia, so im probably not someone to look up to for overcoming it. Ive also never had bulimia, but one of my close friends did - she's been well since the beginning of this year although i know it was very hard to overcome. So the reason i wanted to write to you was just to give you a bit of encouragment - im still working through lots of things in my life, and am trying to get my faith back again, so yuo're lucky you have that on your side. Dont ever lose hope completely, because its very hard to get it back. As someone else said, you do sound intelligent and im sure you could study almost anything, within reason, but CS is right and you really should help yourself first before you embark on something as personal as that. I know ive tried to help people through things because i know a bit about what its like to suffer, and it really does help to know that someone out there needs you. Its been a good thing for me, but i know it could only put more pressure on someone else. But at the end of the day, you have to put yourself first. Dont be scared to ask for help, that is one of the bravest things you can do. And dont worry if you feel youve 'failed' before, this might be the time when the seasons will change for you and you will be able to get the life youve always dreamed of. Good luck, i really hope you will be able to overcome everything life has thrown you, and come out a stronger person at the end of it all. Take care of yourself.

Reply to sam
Posted by: MIA | 2007/04/28

You sound very intelligent. Don't underestimate youself! With the help of prayer, anything is possible. Try Life Line too. I was on their course and it was a wonderful experience. You're not too old or too young to do it.
Good Luck

Reply to MIA
Posted by: Steve | 2007/04/27

Sometimes God helps us through our fellow believers - don't forget that :).

Reply to Steve