Question
Posted by: confused | 2004/12/09

PLEASE help--->anorexia or weight obsession?

hi there

i am kind of confused:i am 1,68m tall and i weigh 46kg,meaning that my bmi is 16,3.i know this is underweight,but how do i know whether this weight can be classified as anorexia or not.
i feel that i cant eat everyday foods,and i only eat specific "safe" foods.i dont purge,i make sure i eat like a tomato or some other fruit every 3 hours(metabolism).my only meal that can be regarded as proper is breakfast.lunch and supper is VERY limited.people are asking me why i lost so much weight and that they are worried,but i think the only reason they say that,is because they not used to me being this weight,i mean come on,if i'd always been this thin they wouldve have said anything!

NEXT PROB.....how do i know whether this is just a phase,or whether this is something i need to speak to a psychologist about....i am sceptical....i dont know what to do.i am scared this gets worse though.

Dear Confused
If you had such a low BMI and told me that you ate all the time, then I would know that you are not anorexic, but you admit that you have reached this dangerously low BMI by eating energy-free foods, skipping meals, etc, etc. Anorexia and bulimia are Eating Disorders, which need to be treated with a team approach. Please consult a clinical psychologist (they are listed in the Yellow Pages under 'Psychologists' or you can ask your gp to refer you), to help you work out what underlying psychological problems are driving you to self-destruct and to learn most positive ways of dealing with these problems. You should also consult a clinical dietitian to assist you to get back to eating normally again. Check the List of Dietitians on this Website or phone 082-593-0276 or send an e-mail to sscharf@nhcltd.com or look in your local telephone directory or Yellow Pages, to find a dietitian in your area. If you are in Gauteng then it may help to contact Tara Hospital as they have an Eating Disorder clinic (phone (011) 783-2010. In Cape Town and environs you can contact the Kenilworth Clinic (021) 797-1400 and in KwaZulu Natal there is Riverview Manor (033) 701-1911.
Go for expert help ASAP.

1
Posted by: Jess | 2004/12/09

I have been through the same thing - please don't become obsessed with your weight because food will consume your every thought! I was anorexic and saw a psycohologist. It has taken 2 years for me to eat right and become a normal weight but I still have the anorexic thoughts everytime I feel I eat too much or if I eat something 'bad'. Everyone commented on my weight saying they were worried etc but I didn't see why. It is now that I am a normal weight and I see photo's of me when I was thin - that it scares me to think that at that time I still thought I could lose more weight. It also got to the stage where I stopped going out with friends because they would always comment on the way I ate or would watch me when I ate. I could see their faces wonder if I went to vomit when I went to the bathroom after a meal. I thought that they were just jealous. If you stop having your monthly cycle and you feel irritable, tired and your hair becomes dull and lifeless you are probably on your way to anorexia. If you are weighing yourself every morning, if you are exercising excessively and if you are comparing yourself to every single other girl then you have anorexic behaviour.

Please becareful - don't let ot rule your life (NOT WORTH IT!!!)

The trick is to balance your life - don't deprive yourself from living and enjoying what God has provided.

Reply to Jess