Question
Posted by: BodyConscious | 2004/11/23

Please help, advice needed.

I am a 24 year old male who was previously underweight. I was extremely active in sports and could never put on weight. A few yr's ago I badly injured my Knee and this curtailed my activity.Due to financial constraints i did not have a knee op. Since then I have put on some 20kg and am now a healthy 74Kg/1.8m. I gymed at home, doin push ups,sit ups and some weight training to keep in shape. But since I starting working, a desk job I am finding it difficult to keep my %fat low as i wish to become more toned /ripped. Although I work long hours 6am-6pm, I do find time to some exercise every day including the above mentioned exercise which I alternate with Hitting a punching bag. In the weekends I do kite surfing which is also demanding on the body. How can I achieve my goal with this heavy schedule? Am i training right? I am going to have the Knee op soon and want to be in as good as condition as possible so that rehab is easier and that i can work my way back into shape easier after rehab. Is sex an effective excercise? please help. sorry for the essay, just wanted to give the full picture

HI there

It's very difficult to exercise when you have such limited time, and you are not alone in having this problem. I think that the key is to then increase the intensity but you have to do some sort of cardio training. The exercise you are doing at the moment, the push ups and sit ups and weight training etc is good to increase the muscle mass, and it contributes slightly to becoming fitter. However, cardio training is still more important, in my opinion. So, what I would do is find even 20 to 30 minutes, in which you can go for a run, or cycle, or skip for 10 minutes, or something quite high intensity, but short in duration. If you can add say a 20 minute run to your current activity, then I am quite sure you will see some results pretty soon - you will certainly become fitter. I don't know how your knee injury influences this though, and it might be quite risky, something to consider when you start running. Perhaps waiting will be better for you at this stage.

Basically, I think that you are limited in time, but that if you use the time well, by doing high intensity cardio, you can achieve results - the weight training has its place, but I believe it needs to be combined with the cardio to be successful