Question
Posted by: CONFUSED! | 2008/01/30

PLEASE HELP

I have been working at my company for 6yrs now, and i have been very happy except for my salary! Currently i am earning half of what i could be! I know there is work out there, and they are willing to pay. My problem is that i have it very easy where i am now, i'm 2Km from home and my boss is very leniant, my baby is 10 months old, and her creche is also just down the road! But its coming to a point where i NEED more money. I know money isn't everything, but i'm just not making ends meet! What do i do???????????????/

I hope you can find a solution, but as a psychiatrist, money is certainly not me area of expertise !

2
Posted by: just me | 2008/01/30

Hi Confused,
Sounds like you have a boss that you can talk to. Since you are so fortunate in aspects that make you stay at this company, then I suggest you bring them up with boss and explain to him that you are over the moon about being close to work, your baby and all those things, but, you need more money and don't want to work somewhere else to get this I'm sure he will understand and would not want you to leave. You have been there for 6 years! You should be able to know by now, how valuable you are to them.
Go for it!

Good Luck!!!

Reply to just me
Posted by: Maria | 2008/01/30

Ask for more money. Bosses (even nice ones) will in general quite happily underpay people who don't ask for more. If he thinks you are worth keeping, he will increase your salary. Exactly how you approach it will depend on your relationship with the boss. You could write a letter, stating all the reasons why you like working there, reminding him of the positive things you do for the company... and asking for a raise. Don't put emphasis on the fact that you need money, that's not his problem. Rather emphasise the fact that you are worth more, without making it sound as if you are threatening him. If you are comfortable enough with him, you can also do this face to face.

Good luck!

Reply to Maria