Posted by: Nancy | 2007/12/05

Please help!!!!

Good morning,

I have a 22 year old son who has an alcohol problem, I've had him on the antabuse tablets but of late he does not want to take them. He has moved in with his gilfriend and her parents, we have heard he gets drunk in the week and weekends drives around in that state as well. I am very very worried about him, we have spoken to him over and over,does not want to listen. Is there anybody out there who knows where we can get the implants done. With the festive season upon us gives me more reason to worry about him.

Please what can we do, he is either going to get arrested for drunken driving or land up killing himself or someone else if this continues. I lie awake worringy about him all the time just waiting for the phone to ring!!! My 19 year old son has asked us on few occassions to please do something about him as he sees him at the pubs and refuses to have over his keys, gets aggressive too.


Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberShrink

At this age, it really is up to him, and only him, to embrace proper treatment for his alcoholism. HE has to take direct and sincere personal responsibility for what he is doing and for trying to put it right. YOU can't do this for him. He needs to see a good specialist in the field, perhaps at a good rehab clinic, or a psychiatrist specializing in substance abuse and alcoholism, for a full assessment and a discussion of treatment options. Neither antabuse nor the implants, nor anything else works without his full cooperation --- they can help him if he is sincerely trying to stop drinking and to stay stopped, but not otherwise.
Sad though it sounds, maybe an arrest for drunken driving would help him to have to face facts --- I'm more concerned about the risk of him killing or maiming someone else. Maybe someone should report him to the police for recurrent drunk driving, and he could usefully even lose his license.
No amount of worrying by you will help --- what is needed is a lot more worrying by him

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: Anonymous | 2009/05/05

Can anybody assist me in this matter. I would like to know where my husband can go to have an antabuse implant. He is currently taking the tablets, but they cost R19 one. It would also be nice if you can give me a price as well. Thank you very much.

Reply to Anonymous
Posted by: Nixie | 2008/07/16

Pls can you refer a Doctor in the JHB North east who can insert an implant for my boyfriend who is looking at giving up drinking and insists the only way to get stong first is to have an implant

Reply to Nixie
Posted by: Ingiphile | 2007/12/05

My aunt is in the same situation as yours, my cousin is 20 he dropped out of high school, he was rebelius not respecting his teachers. now i heard that he is drunk from monday to monday & i wonder where does he get the money. My aunt tried everything to help him but he just don't want to be helped. hes been in hospital beaten by people, we just hope that he comes to his senses and grow up. I hope that your son will also see the wrong of drinking too much.

Reply to Ingiphile

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.