Question
Posted by: RAQS | 2007/06/11

PLEASE HELP

Hi there, I used to train at the gym seven days a week and lost about 25kg. I would only do cardio. I then fell pregnant and have put on much weight and have not returned to the gym I currently weigh 80kg and am 1.6 m tall. I am female. I have a crosstrainer at home that i use everyday for 45 minutes yet I have not lost a single kg. I am also on chronic medication and the doctor has said its side effect is weight gain. I am so frustrated that I work out everyday on my cross trainer but am still not losing weight. I am a sensible eater and do not over eat. Please can u help me with enhancing my training. I can not get back to the gym becos of work.
Why am I not losing weight?

HI Raqs

I have seen and heard of situations like this where medication causes weight gain, and to be frank, fighting against this is going to be a losing battle most times. I think that your history, and the fact that you once were able to exercise and lose that much weight are proof to you that you CAN do it, but the medication you are on is a real critical factor here.

So the two things are: Firstly, are you training as much as you could? You know what it was like to train with success and so the current situation might be that you are not training as much as you might have once done. That would explain part of the problem, though I have feeling it's minor.

The second issue is that medication. Can your doctor not put you on medication that does not cause weight gain? Again, I have seen and experienced occasions where people do change medication and it has the desired effect. So I would speak very seriously with the doc about this - weight gain is not a side effect that you HAVE TO SUFFER, you can look at alternatives.