Question
Posted by: Mandy | 2007/04/20

PLEASE HELP!

I have a puppy Pug - she is almos 5 months old and i just cant house train her - i have tried and tried - but nothing works..... any tips would REALLY help

I am not with her during the day - and i know this is prob why it is soo hard for her to learn - but it can be done - just need to know how?? She messes ALL over the house and not in just one spot - and my place is reeking of the smell! please help!!!

It sounds as if you are going to need the assistance of a behaviour counsellor. What area are you in? Do you feed the pup last thing at night?

5
Posted by: mandy | 2007/04/25

Subject:
Posted by: Cybervet
Message:
Date: 20/4/2007

I feed her in the morning and night - round seven or so (but i leave a bowl of food out for her during the whole day.)

Reply to mandy
Posted by: WR | 2007/04/20

Hi there!

Just to add on - I agree that the pup should not have the run of the house - they get into all kinds of stuff (detergents / chewing on electrical cables / floor & shoe polis...the list goes on and on) - and it'll be better for both of you if you confine her to a 'safe' room if you're out.

Good luck!

Reply to WR
Posted by: Chill | 2007/04/20

Your pup shouldn't have the run of your house during the day when you're not there. Confine her to one room - preferably one with a washable floor - and provide her with what she needs - bed, water, toys, stuff to chew, etc. And put down newspaper as Annie said - it'll be much easier for you to keep clean, and she will be much less inclined to use the rest of the house even when you are home.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Joni | 2007/04/20

I know this is frustrating, hopefully these tips could help:
1. Be alert very alert, you'll have to follow her around the house a lot but the minute she starts sniffing or circling, pick her up immediately and take her outside preferably close to a spot she's been before. Once she's done her business give plenty of praise and even a treat and a lot more praise.
2. As soon as she's eaten or had something to drink take her out immediately, do the same praise & treat once she's gone.
3. This is quite tedious but once she gets used to it she will do it herself, make a concientious effort to take her out every 1/2 an hour & do praise and reward every time she successfully goes.

Positive re-inforcement works soo well with the little ones. The aim is to break the habit and re-inforce a new one. Once she's got it going well start reducing the treats to every 2nd then every 3rd time until you've phased out the treats completely, then the same with the praise and she should be Momma's big girl going out by herself. You will also see & learn her pre - pee & poo behaviour so that you can open for her.

As for the smell & to prevent further accidents you can use one of those DAP vapourisers (available from Vets and Good Pet Stores) and use Wash & Get Off Spray (from Pet Shops), it cleans the area & neutralises the odour and discourages them from messing in the house.

Best of luck, I hope it works for you, please let us know how it goes.

Joni

Reply to Joni
Posted by: Annie | 2007/04/20

Well, my mother in law has house trained a lot of puppies! She puts newspaper all over the laundry room's floor. That's the room the puppies usually sleeps in.. Limit the puppy to one or MOSTLY 2 rooms. Very effective. Try keeping clear of carpet covered floors..

Reply to Annie