Question
Posted by: Zara | 2007/04/05

Please help

Has any of you had high antibodies in your blood before you fell pregnant or if you were pregnant had miscarriages because of it?

I just found out that i have it which was causing me to have 4 miscarriages, clots forming around the womb preventing oxygen from reaching the fetus, all my miscarriages were at 6 weeks, but now i'm on treatment called Ecotrin which is a mild disprin like tablet, to thin my blood. I really would like to fall pregnant soon, hoping i'm going to miss my period this month.

Please hold thumbs! :-)

Expert ImageForumArchive

An antibody is part of the body's defence mechanism. Lupus anticoagulant (LA) and anticardiolipin antibodies (aCL) are part of a larger group of antibodies called antiphospholipid antibodies. An abnormally high level of these antibodies is found in about 15% of women who experience recurrent miscarriage, and is called antiphospholipid syndrome (APS) or Hughes syndrome. (You may also hear it called "sticky blood syndrome".)

How can these antibodies cause a problem?
It may be that they affect the blood supply in the placenta or that they cause abnormal implantation of the placenta in the wall of the uterus (womb). More research is needed in order to identify exactly how these antibodies cause pregnancy problems.

Testing

Investigations involve taking a blood sample from the female partner to identify if the antibodies are present. In order to establish a clear diagnosis of antiphospholipid syndrome it is essential to have two positive tests, taken at least six weeks apart.

Treatment

Treatment is usually with low dose aspirin (75mg daily), starting before conception or early in pregnancy. Your doctor may also recommend heparin injections once you are pregnant and the baby's heartbeat has been seen on scan.