Question
Posted by: ndz | 2007/03/14

please help***

i am 16 and just want to tone up my body i used to have a nice flat tummy but had now got only a little flabby and saw some change on my bum and upper legs. you can see little cellulte marks please i really want to tone up!and please how can i get a bit forming on my calves i thik that a girl should atleast have some sort od calve then just straight legs? please any advise will be so appreciated. i do gym 3 x week and horse riding for an hour the days i dont so gym.at gym i do a stepping machine, do 200-250 sittups and just do some exercise and try tone my bumm and legs but no change? i would really like to know a healthy eating plan cause i try to eat healthy but not always sure if i do? please really want to start looking good again! thanx

Expert ImageSports Nutrition

Hi ndz

Cellulite often appears when there are hormonal changes in the body e.g. entering puberty and womanhood or even later on moving closer to menopause. This is a rather difficult condition to treat – be proactive when you reach your late 30’s or onwards and have your doctor perform a full range of blood tests on your hormones and if needed ask them to treat you with bio-identical hormone creams.

The flab around your tummy might have developed from incorrect eating thus keep the exercise going which will address the toning and focus on hosting a healthy mind and following a balanced diet. Eat six meals per day of which you daily calorie intake is split into 50-60% carbs, 15-25% protein and 20% fat. Always eat low GI carbs and always combine it with a protein. Drink lots of water.

With regards to not seeing results even though you do quite a bit of exercise might be because you are performing the exercises incorrectly or without sufficient intensity – it might be worth your while to get a personal trainer for a session or two. Also, the body will not respond with muscle toning if there is not sufficient energy (calories) to support such change. Small women should not consume less than 1200 calories per day and if you are an active one you should add on calories. Start keeping a food diary and calculate you calorie intake and macronutrient ratios there from which will indicate if this is where the problem resides.

I agree, shaped calves give an athletic healthy look to a body! Check with the personal trainer if you are performing the exercise correctly and with intensity - this is one of the toughest muscles in the body to train which is logical as we use them every day to walk. Some people though have a genetic predisposition to small calves which you can do nothing about. The stepper is excellent for calves and bums – don’t lean on the machine stand up straight and step through your heals, alternate at times by stepping on the toes, but perform a full range of motion with the foot – it is only the foot that should be moving which will greatly pull on the calf. You might have to reduce the resistance when you perform the exercise this way as it is much harder to perform it this way.

Good luck!
Vanessa