Question
Posted by: michelle | 2006/10/27

PLEASE HELP

I wrote earlier about my shortness of breath. I went to my doctor, did some tests and he confirmed nothing serious is wrong - blood pressure normal etc. Last night I could not go to sleep, the minute I lay down, I cannot breath, my heart beats very fast. Finally at 5 o clock I took a disprin and went to bed. Within 10 minutes my eyes saw some black spots moving around and it was the worse attack ever. I immediately got up, moved around and felt bit better. Now my right middle finger feels somewhat dead with prickels. I cannot get an appointment with a pulmologist before next Thursday - I'm not sure if I can hold on this long. I'm not on any birth control - in fact I received infertility treatments and had 3 laparoscopies the past 2 years. How serious is this?

Expert ImageArchive

Dear Michelle,

Whatever organic underlying problems you may have, they are not obvious ones if the tests done so far are normal, so it seems that you can wait until Thursday without danger. However, this is rapidly becoming a sort of panic attack for you, so perhaps you should go back to your GP and ask for a short prescription of something to calm you down. Short-acting beta blockers are often used in this type of scenario as they do slow the pulse as well. Please discuss this with your doctor, as there may be reasons why beta blockers cannot be used for you.

Good luck – I hope this sees you through until you can see the pulmonologist, who can tell you whether there is any lung/heart problem.

HeartDoc.