Question
Posted by: Angelina | 2005/11/25

Please help!

Hi there guys thanks for all your help. I live in mosselbay and i need to know if someone knows of a lesbian or gay phichiatrist (sorry about spelling) in the mosselbay or george area?

Expert ImageGay, lesbian and bisexual expert

Hi again Angelina,

We're not aware of a gay psychiatrist in your area. However, from my perspective, you shouldn't need a 'gay' psychiatrist - it is more important that you have confidence in a psychiatrist's ability to make you feel comfortable, make a good diagnosis and use medication appropriately. If you feel more comfortable speaking to women you may want to find a female psychiatrist in your area.

I assume you're not looking for a psychologist, for counselling purposes. Unlike psychiatrists, who follow a medical model, psychologists use counselling techniques and I often encourage people to find a gay-friendly psychologist. Which doesn't mean that they necessarily need to be gay themselves. You can call Triangle Project's Gay & Lesbian Helpline on (021) 4 222 500 and day between 1pm and 9pm and ask the counsellor on duty whether they have a gay-friendly psychologist listed in your area.

Thanks for posting in English, Angelina.

1
Posted by: Nikki | 2005/11/25

Hi Angelina

Our Xpert is sure to give you some advise on this but have a look at the Triangle Website, the link is at the top of the postings.

Reply to Nikki