Question
Posted by: anon | 2005/12/06

Please explain thrush...

I've asked previously about thrush. My gp said it was bacteria and a fungal infection causing it. I only have a burning sensation after sex. Nothing really bad. My question is: what is thrush and how do you recognise it / symptoms. Reading through some of the other emails, it seems it should be very itchy. It isnt. I just want clarity on how it happens that one gets it? Or is it as common as getting a cold?

Thrush is caused by the fungus, Candida albicans. Changes in the vaginal acidity can allow it to occur. While the usual symptoms are a thick, itchy white discharge, all of these features are not present in everyone. If the symptoms are not typical, a swab can be taken to make a diagnosis.