Posted by: Steph1323201 | 2008/09/28

Please explain!!

for 3 days I was having a pain kind of dull ache on the right side of my chest so yesterday i went into the ER they took 4 vials of blood and gave me a chest x-ray. when they got the blood test results they said that my d-dimer was at 55 and that slightly high or something so they ordered a ct scan of my chest where I was having the pain. that ct came back normal with no findings they said that the x ray was fine too and sent me home. I want to know why they sent me home with that being high. I am 26 years old and overweight why didn' t they check me for other things like blood clots in my legs that I' m not feeling or something this has got me so freaked out and worried I know they know what they are doing but why could that be high and they tell me you' re fine go home is it really that high being at 55 and what else could be going on here??? I' m so worried please explain! thankyou. :)

Thank you for visiting

A d-dimer of 55 is not an abnormal high reading. In the case of pulmanory embolism (blood clot), it will be much higher. You can however, go back to the ER and ask them to do a Venogram of the veins in your legs to exclude blood clotting in the deep veins.

If I was you, I will not be concerned.