Question
Posted by: lebo | 2004/11/16

please explain

hi doc. can u please explain these . i go to gym my weight its get lower but my fat percentage is high and i follow sensible diet .i eat low fat and fat free staff

Hi Lebo

the sceptic in me always wonders how body fat is measured in a case like this. That's the first thing. You need to absolutely sure that the method you are using is 1. Reliable, and 2. Repeatable. I know for example that the BODYiQ machine is one of the most repeatable ones around, when used properly. The skinfold method, on the other hand, is probably very unreliable in all but the most qualified hands. Therefore, since your weight is down, I can only suggest that the second measurement for body fat is either too high, or the first one was too low. I think that if your weight is coming down, and assuming that you are doing good exercise, which it seems is the case, then you are on the right track, and you need to check in a week or two, or even a month, and see if anything is different. The third and fourth times you do the measurement will be a better indication than just a once off comparison.