Question
Posted by: CURIOUS | 2005/07/04

PLEASE ANSWER: TESTS

Hi Doctor,

I've read on your forum and have spoken to a virologist about the window periods for the HIV 3rd and 4th generation Elisa tests and I was told that the window period is now 6 weeks provided that there was no exposure in that period and that a negative HIV elisa test after 6 weeks is conclusive. My question is; why then are there so much literature that mention window periods of being between 3 and 6 months?

Many thanks.

Expert ImageArchive

I cannot comment on the literature that you mention as you do not mention the source, but the window period is 3 -6 weeks as you already know.