Question
Posted by: Mads | 2007/05/23

Please Advise - worried

my husband and i have been trying to fall pregnant since last year november. we have not used any contraceptives at all - the last time i used the pill was in 2003 for approximately 7 months only and then stopped. last month my period was late and i had pregnancy symptoms - got a scan and there was nothing. the doctor then prescribed some fertility tablets to me which i started taking the day my period started which was on the 20th of April.
i have finished the course of tablets.
my question is now that since i've taken the tablets we made love several times - we really wanna have a baby.
my period was due to have started yesterday 22 May but still did not start. could it be the fertility tablets that has thrown my period out or could there be a possibility that i'm pregnant.
please advice me - i really want to buy a home test but i'm so scared that it will be a negative...

Dear Mads

It is very possible that the fertility tablets may be responsible for prolonging onset of menses. However it is important that a pregnancy test be done and should this be negative I would suggest a visit to the gynaecologist to exclude the possibility of ovarian cysts. In some cases if a period is delayed it is important to first bring the hormonal environment to a normal acceptable level before using any fertility tablets. Should this not be done then the use of fertility tablets indiscriminately may produce and result in ovarian cyst formation, which will further aggravate the hormonal imbalance. Therefore if you are not pregnant I would suggest one month of oral contraceptive use before attemptin another cycle with fertility tablets. Also I would advise that you use the fertility tablets in conjunction with ovulation monitoring either by ultrasound or by urine testing kit.

1
Posted by: Patty | 2007/05/23

The only way you can find out is by buying a pregnancy test. So, go it dear and goodluck.

Reply to Patty