Question
Posted by: ACNE! | 2007/07/27

please advise

I know you're jnot the right doc to ask this,m but the skin doc forum is closed. I have always had a bad skin- and now IO have begun getting painful huge red cystic acne under my jawline and on my neck. It is really making me suffer emotionally! I have tried EVERYTHING as one does when one suffers with acne, even been on Roaccutane TWICE. Neither time helped me, and now I realy don't know what to do. Why wouldn't the Roaccutane have worked; and what is my next step? I cannot afford another expensive dermatologist...

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi ACNE, thank you for the question.
This is a difficult question to answer, as one cannot see the skin condition to make an accurate diagnosis. Furthermore, if you are a male the acne may be a result from shaving – either due to an allergic reaction or contact dermatitis, or from ingrown hairs. If this is purely cystic acne or you are a female, then one can consider other options. Recently studies have shown excellent clearance of acne with the use of combination Red and Blue LED treatments. The machine that uses this technology is called the Omnilux and you could find your closest doctor by phoning Genop Pharmaceuticals in Jhb. One can consider a course of antibiotics with good topical care and anti-inflammatories.