Question
Posted by: Faizel | 2005/07/24

Playing cricket after having an ankle fusion

About 6 months ago, I was involved in an accident and broke both my wrists and ankle on my left leg. After numerous surgical procedures, it was decided to perform an Orthrodesis / ankle fusion. This was done on 27 May 2005.

There is no real data availible on sporting activies after such a procedure, and would like to know what my chances would be to play cricket again after this procedure. I am an all rounder who's strength is probably bowling.

Any sort of advise will be greatly appreciated.

Many thnx

Faizel
Cpt

Expert ImageArchive

Dear Faizel

It will be very difficult for you to get back into competitive cricket and if you are determined to do so, you should see a biokineticist first. A biokineticist will help you regain as much range of motion in the ankle joint as possible and devise an exercise program to help you strengthen the muscles and joints affected by the ankle fusion. The fusion of the ankle joint decreases the mobility of that joint, which will affect the way you run and transfer load through the body. Because the ankle cannot bear weight/load effectively, the knee, hip, pelvis and lower back will all be affected and may become hypermobile or carry too much load. This could lead to injuries at one or more of those joints. The best thing for you to do is to see a biokineticist, preferably one who has dealt with cricket training or with sports ankle injuries, who can assess your current biomechanics (the transfer of load through the joints of your body) and prescribe an exercise program to help you perform at your sport to your best capability and prevent injuries to which you are now prone.

Get the biokineticist to give you wrist and hand strengthening exercises too, as this joint and muscles will be weakened as well (because of wrist fractures).