Question
Posted by: Lulu | 2007/05/01

PLAT VOETE

My seun van 10 jaar het "plat voete". Na rugby oefening of as hy gehardloop het dan pyn sy voete, meerendeels sy hakskene. Is dit nodig dat ek hom moet dokter toe vat, is dit as gevolg van sy plat voete die pyn?

Expert ImageArchive

Reply in english
It sounds as if your son has a condition called Sever`s disease. This is an inflammation of the growth plate in the heel bone and is common in his age group.
The treatment is to raise and cushion the heel with or without correction of the foots inward movement, and this needs the advice of a podiatrist (voetkundige) In other words he needs special innersoles for all his shoes. He will need to rest when he is in pain as the more he runs the longer the inflammation goes on for.

The problem is that I am sure he plays his rugby bare foot so I suggest he does all his training with takkies and the insoles but plays only matches barefoot

To get a referral please call The SA Podiatry assn 0861 100 249 speak to Gina and she will put you onto someone who can help, in the meantime let him wear takkies as much as possible.