Question
Posted by: Tori | 2007/04/20

Plat maag

Goeie dag Dr

ek is glad nie oorgewig of so nie (was wel) en het nou 'n plat maag tot net onder my naaltjie waar my magie 'n "boepie"/ rolletjie maak. Wat kan ek doen om die gedeelte plat te kry.
Sal gewone "sit-ups help of is daar 'n ander maag oefening wat u kan aanbeveel.
Ek het 'n lae rug probleem so wanneer ek wel maag oefening doen raak my lae rug "lam", veral met die sit ups
Ek gaan nie gym toe nie (ek is 'n student), so as u iets kan aanbeveel wat ek by die huis kan doen.

Hi Tori

This is a really common problem, and you'll see on the site that maybe one in four questions is more or less the same. The answer to your question is that normal situps, by themselves, won't really work that well for it, because all that really does is develop strength in the muscles underneath, and that's not the problem. That's not to say they don't help, because they do, but they are not the more important thing to do. That honour belongs to cardio training - like running, walking, cycling, swimming, taebo, aerobics etc. Anything that is cardiovascular gets the heart pumping and energy burning is most effective. It is just a question of how you use these cardio sessions. I would suggest at least 4 days a week of cardio training, each session lasting about 30 to 45 minutes, AT LEAST. You have to build up this duration and then keep at it consistently in order to see change.

Then as I've said, the specific exercises for the area in question have a relatively minor role, other than that they are responsible for developing the muscle in the area, which creates the appearance of being toned. That's obviously what you want, but you have to realise that you can't do the toning and specific work first and neglect the cardio - it has to work the other way around, cardio first, toning second. So focus on cardio, then on toning.

Diet is also very crucial, and if it's not 100% it will undermine any exercise benefits. So the best thing is to see a dietician or follow a very good diet plan. Just remember that low kilojoule is not necessarily better - too low causes problems as well, because it causes the body's metabolic rate to drop and that affects your ability to lose weight in the future. So don't try to starve yourself or go overboard, rather eat sensibly, cut out as much fat as you can, and listen to your body.

Ross