Question
Posted by: Anna | 2005/06/28

Plaster after toe op

Dear Foot expert
I recently has a toenail resection done and my podiatrist told me to keep the toe covered for two weeks. Is this because of possible infection, or what? It would just seem that it would all heal more quickly if it could dry out.

Thanks Anna

Expert ImageArchive

If I sound blunt on this one please forgive me, follow the advice you have been given. Following a nail wedge resection there is a cavity where the nail was, this can easily become infected, the nail is very close to bone and the infection can (there is a chance) enter the bone. it is very important for anyone, following surgery of any sort to follow the advice given, and if you have any doubts please call the person who has operated and ask, rather safe than sorry