Question
Posted by: AA | 2007/11/30

PLASENTA VERY STUCK

My baby was born in Jan this year. Besides her been in the breech position everything was 100 % - I'm 33. However during the C-Section the docter mentioned that my plasenta was VERY stuck and afterwards my womb struggeled to shrink but eventually in the recovery room everything turned out to be o.k. I have another child who was born naturally in 1993 without any problems except a 3rd degree tear. The docter mentioned that sometimes a stuck plasenta can cause them to do a histerectomy? What causes this - the stuck plasenta & the womb not contracting - and what are the posibility of it happening again?

It is not really known what causes the placenta to be stuck. Previous surgery to the womb is one cause but it can occur even without this. If the placenta is still inside, this prevents the womb contracting. There is unfortunately a chance of recurrence.