Question
Posted by: Joey | 2007/03/23

Planning baby

My husband and I are planning to start our family expansion in about 4 months. SO excited!

Please advise when it is a good time to start with folic acid etc - I actually don't know what vits to take.

Currently I am on Vit B (Vitaforce), Cranberry capsule (UTI prevention) and Probiflora.

Is there something I must stop taking?

You can continue with the vitamins but folate is the most important. you should start at least 3 months before falling pregnant.

4
Posted by: GG | 2007/03/23

Forgot to mention that your hubby must also go onto a good daily vitamin and also cut down on alcohol and cigarettes ( if he smokes ). His lifestyle also directly affects his sperm. Good luck and will keep my fingers crossed for you!

Reply to GG
Posted by: Joey | 2007/03/23

Hi GG and Goose

Thank you for your advise!

Reply to Joey
Posted by: GG | 2007/03/23

Here's some very good advice from the babycentredotcodotuk site. Hope it helps!

Healthy eating means eating a balanced diet and avoiding foods high in fat and sugar, such as cakes and biscuits. The Food Standards Agency recommends eating a variety of foods while trying to conceive, including:

• Fruit and vegetables - these can be fresh, frozen, tinned, dried or a glass of juice. Aim for at least five portions a day.

• Carbohydrate foods such as bread, pasta, rice and potatoes

• Protein such as lean meat and chicken, fish, eggs and pulses (beans and lentils).

• Fish, at least twice a week, including some oily fish, but don't have more than two portions of oily fish a week. This includes fresh tuna (not canned tuna, which does not count as oily fish), mackerel, sardines and trout.

• Dairy foods such as milk, cheese and yoghurt, which contain calcium.

• Iron rich foods, such as red meat, pulses, dried fruit, bread, green vegetables and fortified breakfast cereals, to build up your resources of iron in preparation for pregnancy.

It helps your body to absorb iron if you have some food or drink containing vitamin C, such as fruit or vegetables, or a glass of fruit juice with any iron-rich meals.

Take a vitamin supplement
While you can meet almost all your nutritional needs through a balanced diet, some experts believe that even the healthiest eaters could do with some extra help. 'My doctor suggested I take a supplement while trying to conceive and I reckoned it couldn't do any harm,' says Margaret. 'I don't always have time to plan meals and I sometimes eat on the run. This way, I'm making sure I get everything my body needs.'

Remember that a supplement is a safeguard, not a substitute for a sound diet. And since over-the-counter supplements may contain large doses of vitamins and minerals that could be harmful to a developing baby, it's sensible to switch to a pill formulated for pregnant women even before you conceive. Or choose a supplement that contains about 100 per cent of the RDA (recommended daily allowance) so that it does not contain mega doses of vitamins or minerals. Talk with your GP or midwife about the right antenatal supplement for you.

Get lots of folic acid
Everyone could do with more folic acid, not just women - this B vitamin has been linked to a lower incidence of heart attacks, strokes, cancer, and diabetes. It also reduces a baby's risk of neural tube birth defects such as spina bifida (a serious congenital condition, which occurs when the tube around the central nervous system fails to close completely).

Women who are trying to conceive (or who might become pregnant) should take a supplement of 0.4 milligrams (mg) daily - also written as 400 micrograms (mcg). You should take this from the time you stop using contraception until the 12th week of pregnancy. Make sure that the supplement you use does not contain vitamin A or fish liver oil (see below, "What else to avoid").

It is recommended that any woman who has had a child with a neural tube defect should take a much higher dose - 5 milligrams (mg) a day. If you or your partner or an immediate relative has a neural tube defect you should also take 5 milligrams (mg) of folic acid a day. This higher dose is also recommended if you are taking anti-epileptic drugs, have coeliac disease (gluten intolerance) or sickle cell disease.

In addition, it's wise to eat folate-rich foods such as dark green leafy vegetables (such as spinach or kale), citrus fruits, nuts, whole grains, brown rice, fortified breads and cereals.

Cut back now on alcohol
If your drinking habits leave something to be desired - and many people's do - you'll have to make some adjustments. Here's some solid advice: cut out or only occasionally drink alcohol. The current advice is to drink no more than one or two units of alcohol once or twice per week. A unit is half a pint of standard strength beer, lager or cider, or a pub measure of spirit. A glass of wine is about two units and alcopops are about 1.5 units. The main risk here is to a developing fetus, which can be harmed by heavy or binge drinking.

If you have stopped using contraception, there is a chance that you could already be pregnant - it's better to be safe than sorry and avoid worrying later about how much you drank early in pregnancy.

Think ahead about caffeine
There is no consistent evidence to link caffeinated beverages (tea, coffee and colas) to fertility problems. However, the Food Standard Agency has advised since 2001 that pregnant women should limit their intake of caffeine - having more than 300 mg of caffeine per day has been linked to miscarriage and low birth weight. As part of your preparation for pregnancy you could start to wean yourself from caffeine in chocolate, cocoa, fizzy drinks and coffee so that you are used to a lower intake before you become pregnant.

To check how much you are consuming now - 300 mg of caffeine is roughly equivalent to:

• 3 mugs of instant coffee (100mg each)

• 4 cups of instant coffee (75mg each)

• 3 cups of brewed coffee (100mg each)

• 6 cups of tea (50mg each)

• 8 cans of cola (up to 40mg each)

• 4 cans of 'energy' drink (up to 80mg each)

• 8 (50g) bars of plain chocolate (up to 50mg each). Caffeine in milk chocolate is about half that of plain chocolate.

What else to avoid
The Food Standards Agency recommends that women who are trying to conceive should also avoid the following:

• Too much vitamin A. This means you should avoid eating liver and liver products such as pâté and avoid taking supplements containing vitamin A or fish liver oil. You need some vitamin A, but if you have too much during pregnancy, this could harm your baby.

• Fish containing mercury, such as, shark, swordfish and marlin. Also, don't eat more than two tuna steaks a week (weighing about 140g cooked or 170g raw) or four medium-size cans of tuna a week (with a drained weight of about 140g per can). High levels of mercury can harm an unborn baby's developing nervous system.

• Peanuts and peanut products, if your baby is at high-risk of developing an allergy to peanuts due to family history. If you, the baby's father, brothers or sisters have certain conditions such as hayfever, asthma and/or eczema then your baby may be at higher risk. You may wish to avoid eating peanuts and peanut products when you're trying to get pregnant and when you have become pregnant.

Your GP can give you more information on the dos and don'ts when trying to conceive - it's a good opportunity to make sure you are in tip top physical condition for pregnancy too.

Reply to GG
Posted by: Goose | 2007/03/23

I think it is great to start your family and all the best for you and your husband.I just want to tell you that i was taking the same Vitamins as you and it took me alot longer to get pregnant.I only start taking folic acid and i got pregnant 2 months later.Maybe i'm wrong it depend on woman to woman.

Goose

Reply to Goose