Question
Posted by: Anke | 2004/01/15

Placentae Privea

I am about 16 weeks pregnant and went for my check up. The doktor told me that the placenta implanted on the bottom of my womb. Is it possible for the placenta to move later on? Is there any complications I should be worried about ?

The placenta often moves out of the way later, so there is nothing to worry about at this stage.

2
Posted by: www | 2004/01/15

Hi Anke, Belle has actually given you a very good answer, so I don't have much to add other than that the chances are very good that it will still move up - but do discuss your concerns with your gynae, because if you were planning a natural birth and the gynae is expecting a problem, then you might need to psychologically prepare differently.

Reply to www
Posted by: Belle | 2004/01/15

At 17 Weeks with my second child we found out that my placenta was partially over the cervix. It moved completely out of the way and natural birth was possible although I had a emergency caesar due to other complications. So it all depends how low it is. If it completely covers the cervix then it might not move out of the way enough for natural birth. Complications that you could experience are: 1) bleeding, which is how I found out that the placenta was low and 2)having to have a caesar. I dont know of any other complications.

Reply to Belle