Question
Posted by: Paula | 2007/06/05

placenta privia

At my last scan (20 weeks) The Gynae said that I had placenta privia. He didnt go into any detail but said I shouldnt worry. But I have heard some scary stories of moms who have been confined to bed rest & to take it easy. Should I be worried? What does it mean? Is it safe to garden? Please advise!! Thanks

Dear Paula
Placenta Previa means that the placenta is implanted at the bottom of the womb and can span the opening of the cervix. You get three grades: Complete previa where the mouth of the uterus ( cervix) , is completely covered. Partial previa where just a portion of the cervix is covered by the placenta. And the marginal previa that extends just to the edge of the cervix. See this picture: www.obfocus.com/images/previa.gif
The danger is as your pregancy goes on, the cervix starts dilating slightly and this can tear the placenta loose from the uterus's side, causing bleeding and putting the baby in danger.
You have to ask your doctor which kind of previa you have.
Strenuous activity may provoke bleeding and should be avoided. You should have a follow-up sonar at 28 to 30 weeks and if the placenta is in a dangerous position they may decide to do a ceasarian section a little bit earlier than your due date. If you start bleeding, inform your gyne immediately.