Question
Posted by: sunshine | 2004/10/21

Placenta Praevia/ Detaching placenta

Please could someone tell me the chances of having the placenta detaching again if it has happened twice before - once at practically full term - resulting the baby being still born, then there was a healthy pregnancy after that resulting in a perfect child.

The third pregnancy resulted in a miscarriage at 8 weeks for unknown reasons, and then during the fourth pregnancy, the placenta started detaching at 10 weeks, resulting in being put on strict bedrest hoping it would help, but ended up in a D&C at 12.5 weeks.

Any information about this would be greatly appreciated

The first and the third pregnancy complications are really due to different things. The chance of the placenta detaching as in the first pregnancy again is about 10%. You have ahd two miscarriages and the chances of another miscarriage is about 20%. I would suggest that you see a gynaecologist for some tests to see if there is any cause that can be found. Also start taking folate supplements if you are planning another pregnancy.