Question
Posted by: sarah | 2008/07/19

piz buin

good day

I am sun unworshipper and i am using the Piz buin sun range i think is good but would like to know your opinion the range that i am currently using is the radiant face apf 30 it does not contain the oxybezoneor the octocrylene that you mentioned before it does contain the titanium methyl octicinnamte as the neostrata range do you think it is good. As I read in some articles is that more people are using sunscreens and more people are getting
sun cancer please advise

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi Sarah, thank you for the question.

Octocrylene is an organic compound used as an ingredient in sunscreens and cosmetics. This organic compound can penetrate into the skin where it acts as a photo sensitizer. This results in an increased production of free radicals under illumination. Free radicals are known to induce indirect DNA damage and an increased concentration of free radicals might have contributed to the increased incidence of malignant melanoma in sunscreen-users compared to non-users.
So your best approach when using a SPF is to make sure that it contains zinc oxide and/or titanium dioxide. NeoStrata’s main ingredient used for sun protection is Titanium Dioxide 2%. I cannot find the ingredients used in the Piz Buin you mentioned but please note that if you do not see titanium dioxide then be wary in its ability to protect the skin from UVA rays. The second ingredient you mentioned (methyl oxyb...) also known as Octinoxate is used for the UVB protection.