Question
Posted by: Spots | 2007/07/23

Pityriasis rosea

As I advised earlier today, I am now in the 5th week with this condition ie. Pityriasis rosea.

I'm concerned because the infection has spread up my neck and the edge of my face and I have noticed small red dots on the front of my thighs.

Is it usuall for the condition to spread to the neck, face and thighs?

Do you think that the condition is worsening or that another condition exists / or is developing, especially considering the ringworm fungal infection and the fact that I do suffer from eczema?

Please advise.

Thank you!

Dear Spots

Pityriasis Rosea is an exanthem with unknown etiology. It is presumed to be a viral infection but can also be caused by certain drugs and even high stress levels. Peak incidence usually occur during Winter and Spring. Rash may last up to six months and bacterial super infection of rash is possible.

The diagnosis is usually confirmed by a Herald patch (solitary salmon coloured macule), followed by a pruritic rash, one to two weeks later. This rash may be confused with Tenia Corporis (ringworm).

This rash has the following characteristics: It is a bilateral symmetric macular rash, orientated along skin cleavage lines that gives it a christmas tree appearance. Maximal rash on trunk, abdomen and proximal upper extremities (arms, neck, face).

Pigmentation changes may occur in area of rash.

Pityriasis Rosea can co-exist with a current skin condition, i.e. eczema. Unfortunately, Pityriasis Rosea can take up to six months to resolve.

Kind regards