Question
Posted by: Bev | 2005/01/11

Pitbull's skin problem

I have a year old male pitbull. He is white and tan in colour and has developed inflamed pink patches on his underbelly, scrotum and on top of one of his paws. Is there any ointment that I can use to try and heal it. It looks to me like a form of excema. Many thanks

The breed is a highly susceptible to bacterial infection affecting the areas he described. The only effective treatment for that will be a course of antibiotics, and possibly the use of an antiseptic shampoo. The best will be to go see your vet, before this problem gets out of hand. The earlier and more aggressive it is treated, the better.

Dr Malan van Zyl
Veterinary Specialist Physician
Cape Town