Question
Posted by: TC | 2007/07/18

pitbull bloodlines

hi if anyone can help me i am looking into starting to breed with pitbulls, i have a male he is the hank bloodline i can get a female puppy now but she is sundance/bolio bloodline is it the right thing to mix the bloodlines? any answers will be gladly exepted!!

Call KUSA. They should be able to help you.

4
Posted by: Kate | 2007/07/19

I personally think Pittbulls are exquisitely beautiful but that is where my interest stops.
Our neighbours had one and although it was not even a year old he bit 2 people and mauled another neighbours dog.

I personally do not see why people would want to breed this type of dog because there is a lot of danger behind those handsome looks, and more often than not people who buy pittbulls do so for the aggresiveness.

You might have a one in a miliion dog but from what I know of pittbulls you never can tell what will turn them and even people who have pitts do not allow there dogs to be unsupervised - ie crate them when no one is home.

Reply to Kate
Posted by: WR | 2007/07/19

Hi there TC,

Yes, I do agree with Chill and Carol on this one. I have bred before - BUT with the help of a breeder that has been doing it for 40 years. The first thing he told me is that if you do it right, and for the right reasons - YOU DO NOT MAKE MONEY. In fact, you'll most likely lose money - so if money is your motivation, forget about the breeding.
I dunno anything about the PB-bloodlines - and yes, once again - the best people to ask would be other breeders - and if you are still set on breeding - ask a few diffirent breeders about the said bloodlines.
Do some research on PB breeding - and make sure that you know about the pros and cons.
PBs have a bad reputation, and that debate has been discussed and written about extensively - so remember that you MUST research the bloodlines, ESPECIALLY their aggressive traits, and sort that out first.

Personally I think that even though I have done more than 5 years constant research, asking advice from breeders etc and doing this with help and input of a breeder of 40 years, 2 Vets etc - I still was not prepared for the impact the 9 furballs had when they appeared!

It might sound dramatic etc - trust me, 'twas no joke!

Think carefully, and if you decide to go on, good luck!

Reply to WR
Posted by: Chill | 2007/07/18

I quite agree with Carol. If you know so little about this that you're having to ask on an internet forum, then rather don't mess with it, most especially not with the breed concerned.

If you feel that your dog is so wonderful that his genes absolutely have to be reproduced for posterity, then rather go back to the kennel you got him from, and talk to them about letting him sire a litter under their supervision. Presupposing, of course, that the breeder concerned isn't also a backyard breeder!

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Carol | 2007/07/18

Shouldnt you be asking the breeders??

Pitbulls are one of the breeds that you have to be particularly careful of with breeding , and unless you have a mentor and considerable knowledge I would advise against it.

Why do you want to breed ?? Unless you are planning on bettering the breed rather leave it to the experts.

Sorry to sound harsh but im totally anti breeding unless its done by experts and ONLY for the right reason .

Reply to Carol