Question
Posted by: Flee | 2003/12/18

Pins & Needles

My boyfriend recently took up cycling in the mornings. He has recently complained that he gets Pins & Needles in his hands during the ride. Could you explain why this might happen.

With cycling, it's a pretty common occurrence, actually. It's caused by the weight of the upper body being placed on the hands for a long period, and causing nerve compression. It's not harmful and as he'll be able to tell you, it disappears almost immediately after he stops riding. So, the cause is excessive weight on the hands during the ride - the solution is trying a few things out. The first is to either lower the saddle or raise the handlebars (I would raise the bars first). The thing to remember is that you should not have too much weight on the hands, and if the bars are too low, then almost your entire upper body is leaning on the hands. So, lifting the bars might do the trick. if that fails, then gloves are the way to go - the cycling gloves have padding in the palms, which can help alleviate this. Finally, shifting around every once in a while is always a good idea - just to change the weight and relieve those pressure points.

Hope this helps him