Question
Posted by: Rags | 2004/09/29

Pins and needles in my foot when I run!

I have been running for about a year, and train (Running and spinning) 5 or 6 times a week. In recent weeks, I have experienced a pins and needles numbing sensation in my right foot. It is becoming more frequent, and and now happens every time I run - usually from around the 5km mark - and can last anything from a few minutes to half an hour. (It also fades comletely when I stop running!)
I have been told that there is possibly a problem in the lower back - I am not experiencing any pain here at all - but I do have "muscle pain" in the muscle on the right shoulder - could these be linked .... and what should I be doing to prevent or fix this!!
Thanks.

Expert ImageArchive

Hi Rags

Every part of the body is linked to everything else so it is likely that your shoulder is influencing your foot. If think you will need to stretch your calves - as often there is a referral from the calf into the foot and can be as pins and needles.

Douglas