Question
Posted by: Jules | 2007/04/01

Pinched Nerve in 2 year old dog

Hi, I took my dog to the emergency vet yesterday for crying when I went to pick him up. I had scared hijm as he did not know that I was behind him and then he started screaming. The vet said that his adrenaline was running so high they could not detect where the pain was coming from. Therefore though it to be a pinched nerve, we have him on anti inflammatory pills, which definitely seem to be helping however only two have been given so far. Can anyone tell me how long it takes to heal a pinched nerve and should I have an MRI done to make sure no discs are damaged. Please any info and all info on this topic would be GREATLY APPRECIATED. Thank you.

An MRI will show how severe the lesion is and whether surgery will be needed. Keep him quiet while on the medication as they can exacerbate the condition when the pain is under control.

1
Posted by: Chill | 2007/04/02

You certainly can have an MRI done - but if the anti-inflammatories are working I think I'd be awaiting developments before making any further decisions. It's not really possible to say how long this might take to heal, because that would depend on too many things. Let your vet guide you - carry on with the medication, in the meantime, and don't worry too much - most of these things clear up quite adequately without further intervention. Just don't encourage the dog to be too active for the next few days - rest is probably the best thing of all.

Reply to Chill