Posted by: Michele | 2010/07/29

Pinched nerve for 8 months?

Good afternoon Doctor,

I was wondering if you could please help me with some advice or recommendation as I''m starting to stress slightly. About 8 months ago my fingers starting going numb a few weeks after I''d had quite a bad back/neck spasm (which I''ve seemed to get fairly often through my life). Over the weeks and months it progressed into the whole of my left side of my body and has now started moving onto the right side as well. It usually starts with an ice-cold feeling that burns and also itches, and then it goes numb.

The numbness I have adapted around until such time as I can have it seen to, but what''s disturbing me is that over the last 3 or so months my balance and co-ordination has been becoming more and more off, I constantly feel as though I am falling and need to concentrate just to stay balanced while walking or stepping or anything. Have had quite a few embarrassing clumsy trips already. Also, about 3 weeks ago I started seeing light flashes in the corner of my right eye which came and went over 2 or 3 days, this was accompanied by great pain every time I moved my eye, and my vision has gone all blurred and weird since then. I had a similar thing with my eye about 10 years ago when I was told it was optic neuritis.

I have made an appointment with a chiropractor for Monday as my family believes it could be a pinched nerve. I however, am wondering if that could be the case or should I have checked with a normal GP before going straight to a chiropractor? I''m a little uncertain whether all these things could all be linked to a pinched nerve? And I''m not sure how the loss of clear vision in my eye could also be linked? I''ve never been involved in any type of accidents or injuries, although I do seem to get muscle spasms rather easily, but I don''t want to spend all the time and money involved in going to a chiropractor if it''s actually not necessary or I need to be seeing another type of specialist?

Thanks for your time! :)


Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageChiroDoc

Hi Michele
Your symptoms are indicative of some neurological upset and if your symptoms have not improved by now, I would urgently advise that you consult a Neurologist as son as possible. A thourough neurological examination with a possible MRI examination should tell us what the best course of treatment and care would be.
Sincerely trust that this will help. My apologies for not getting back to you sooner - I was out of office for a while.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.