Question
Posted by: danielle | 2004/09/30

pimples and bumps on buttocks

Generally speaking I have a very good skin and do not suffer from breakouts. However I have a breakout of relatively large red pimples on my butt cheeks. What could be causing this and how should I treat it?

Danielle, they are usually caused by bacteria called Staphylococcus aureus. They might occur more frequently on the buttocks because the bacterial load is higher there, but it's not a given. They are usually treated with antibiotics (first ointments and then pills).
Usually that is all that needs to be done. You can try to prevent them from returning by using chlorhexidine gluconate soap, but usually it's not necessary. Good luck.