Question
Posted by: kate | 2005/07/07

pill or copper-t?

I'm 21 years old and have consistently been on the pill for the last seven years. I have recently been looking at other contraception options, namely the copper-t. Apart from my concerns about taking a hormone every day, I've also stuggled to loose some weight and think that this could be due to being on the pill (as have been exercising - been to personal trainer, and been eating well - been to nutritionist).

I have however heard that there are some side-effects, such as cramping and heavier periods, that occur when one has a copper-t. Also, I was advised by someone that one should only have a copper-t inserted after you have given birth as this will decrease the chance of complications.

Would apprectiate any advice you could give me on this subject!
Thank-you!

It is true that you often have heavier, more painful periods with an IUCD. If you are not in a monogamous relationship, the IUCD is not a good idea as it predisposes to infections which can cause infertility. This is the reason for discouraging it in women who have not had children.