Question
Posted by: NASTASHA | 2006/08/01

PILES/HEMEROIDS THAT BLEED

6 years ago, when I gave birth to my son I got hemeroids.They did not seem to bother me at all but these days it becoming a problem. Every time I go to the loo I notice that they bleed. I have heard form a lot of people that removing them is a painful procedure. That has become stuck in my head so much that now I’m just too scared to even mention this to the doctor. I squirm at the thought. Are there any creams I can use for this? Someone also told me that it’s deadly once that happens, blood mixing with stools. Is that also true? I am very afraid and not sure how to handle this situation. What type doctor handles this procedure?

Dear Nastasha
years ago it was quite a procedure but these days there are much more effective and less painful options. You can talk to a general surgeon or a surgeon that is also specialized in Gastro-enterology. Bleeding is bad for you as you may develop anemia but it is highly unlikely that it is deadly.

1
Posted by: anxious | 2006/08/01

I have a haemorrhoids problem and have had one for a long time as well. My gp referred me to a specialist surgeon who deals with these problems on a regular basis. He prescribed Proctosedyl Ointment for them when they get extremely itchy or bleed (which they have done). I find this works better than Scheriproct ointment/suppositories which I have also tried. I have been lucky enough not to have had any trouble from them for a long time now. Hopefully it will stay that way! When I have intermittent problems I use the Proctosedyl ointment and it always works very well each time.

You do need a script for it.

Reply to anxious