Question

Piles???

Hi, I have a condition... I experience terrible pain in my anal area. I am not constipated and i dont have any blood in my stool. From what i have heard about piles is that there would be blood and my anus would be swollen. Please advise what this is.... as the pain is unbearable. I feel embarrassed to go to a doctor. Please tell me what it could be and what i should take to ease the pain. I sometimes cant even sit....please help

Dear Anon
You have to see a doctor - this is not normal. It can be:
Proctalgia fugax - a severe, episodic rectal pain that usually occurs at night. The pain may last from a few seconds to 30 minutes. The exact cause of proctalgia fugax isn't known,but could be due to a spasm in the muscles around the rectum.
Infection - abcesses etc
Nerve pain from the sacral nerves

1
Posted by: anxious | 2007/06/11

You don't always have to have bleeding to have piles and if you have internal piles you may not notice the swelling, but still have it. GP's deal with these problems on a daily basis so there really is no need to feel embarrassed - just go to him/her and say you think you have a haemmorhoids problem and he/she will examine you and prescribe what is necessary. I spoke to my gp about my haemmorhoids problem when I was there last week for my routine monthly blood test and he examined me and gave me Proctosedyl ointment (which my surgeon who diagnosed my haemmorhoids problem has given me previously) and it really is very good and helps substantially with pain. I am using it 2x a day and already I notice a difference. Just go to your gp about your problem - you will be so glad when you walk out of there having got treatment for the pain and will probably think "what was all that fuss about?!"

Reply to anxious