Question
Posted by: Christal | 2007/04/26

Pilates vs Yoga

Good day,

I have started doing Pilates at the gym to strengthen my back as I have a lower back and neck problem and decided to do more classes but cant decide between pilates and yoga.

Could you pls explain the difference to me and which one would be more beneficiary to my back for strengthening?

Expert ImageYoga

Hi Christal - there is no real answer to that question because they are very different disciplines although it is speculated that some Pilates postures are derived from Hatha Yoga which is probably thousands of years old. I have done only a little Pilates and certainly think the focus on core strength will greatly help your back. My (biased) view is that yoga is more holistic in that it is a full body routine (including core abs and neck exercises) as well as benefiting people on an emotional, mental and stress reduction level as well. My suggestion is to try both for a period of time (at least a month) with sufficient regularity (2/3 times a week) and you will get an idea of what works best for you.
Kind regards
Chris

1
Posted by: Mandy | 2007/05/31

Hey. Im 19 years old and im not over weight, i would like to tighten some areas wich arent toned at all. Will pilates or yoga give me the results that i want?

Reply to Mandy