Question
Posted by: anonymous | 2007/03/19

pilates during pregnancy

Hi. Is it advisable to do pilates before , during and after pregnancy to keep body toned and strong.Am worried should I fall pregnant I will end up picking up weight.

HI Anonymous

Pilates is a pretty low risk form of exercise for pregnancy yes. It's only really in the final phases where you would want to be careful, though Pilates is still very good - there are just some positions you would want to avoid, mostly because of the changes in your mass distribution. But it's especially good for the muscles of the spine and lower back, which, as I'm sure you can appreciate, take some strain as a result of that weight change. So I would say go for it, but be cautious.

Just on the note of weight loss and regulating that during pregnancy (and after), just bear in mind that it's the cardio that is most effective. So while Pilates is great for stability and strength, if you want to regulate weight, you do also need to consider things like running, walking, aerobics and swimming. Of these, swimming is without doubt the best, espcially towards the later part of the pregnancy. So my advice is actually that if you are at a gym, speak to a trainer about this, and see if they don't even offer specialised classes for pregnant women that you can join. The key is to be safe rather than sorry, so always check everything you do.