Posted by: Nicky | 2008/08/04

Pigmentation VS Alcohol

Good morning,
I have marks on my chicks that have developed into pigmentation. During my pregnancy I used tissue oil which dried my chicks and also left scars on them. These look like pigmentation. I am now using Clinique " even better"  and sunscreen nivea and ROC. I have noticed that when I use a product with alcohol these marks get darker. What could be the reason for this? Is it possible that my skin is reacting to alcohol on these products? The sunscreens I am currently using also have alcohol. What could be the reason for this? Is there a sunscreen you can recommend to me that does not have alcohol, should this is the contributor to these marks?
What would you recommend me to use to remove these marks?

Kind Regards,

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi Nicky, thank you for the question.

This is a difficult question to answer over the net as ideally one would like to examine the skin and the pigmentory changes first before deciding on the appropriate treatment options. Your best advice would be to consult a dermatologist or an aesthetic practitioner who can examine the areas of concern.

Generally speaking pigmentation can be improved with a good topical regime:

Moisturizer containing glycolic acid and alphahydroxy acids
Depigmenting creams containing glycolic acid, kojic acid, citric acid, lactic acid, ascorbic acid, Bearberry extract, licorice extract, Mulberry root extract, mandelic acid, Arginine, and Arbutin – these ingredients are found in NeoStrata’s range of topical products.
By adding a glycolic acid peel to your regime one should get improved results and clearance of the pigmentation.

A more aggressive approach would include skin rejuvenation with IPL & Bi-Polar Radiofrequency (Syneron), Laser (Fraxel, Ultrapulse Encore), and IPL (Ellipse).

The alcohol may be aggravating the pigmentation and you should avoid products containing this ingredient. A good SPF is vital to prevent further pigmentory changes and your SPF should contain zinc oxide and/or titanium dioxide. My preference for sun protection is the Heliocare range and you can get more information on this product at or on my web page: - Products Menu.

Posted by: Nicky | 2008/08/18

Thank you a lot for the advice, Doc.

Reply to Nicky