Question
Posted by: gogga | 2008/06/05

pigmentation

I have pigmentation marks all over my face.

I have tried a lot of products but they only make it
a bit lighter - it doesn't take it away completely.

Can you suggest anything that i can use for this?

Thank you so much

Enjoy your day

Liesl Pretorius

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi Liesl, thank you for the question.

Your best option is to consult an aesthetic medical practitioner or cosmetic dermatologist that can examine the areas of concern and prescribe the appropriate treatment.
You have a number of options for treating pigmentation marks but the first step is to differentiate the pigmentation between Melasma (hormonally induced pigmentation) and ‘sun induced’ only pigmentation. Melasma is typically found as large confluent areas of pigmentation on the cheeks, upper lip, and forehead, but may appear on any part of our skin. Melasma is difficult to treat and one should differentiate between epidermal (superficial) and dermal (deeper) pigmentation as the treatment options differ.

I will presume that your pigmentation marks are sun induced only and the following treatment options are available:

Topical
Glycolic acid peels alone or in combination with pigment removal booster pads or mandelic acid peels.
Glycolic and salicylic acid face wash.
Topical products containing vitamin C, vitamin A, vitamin E, glycolic acid, kojic acid, citric acid, mandelic acid, Bearberry extract, mulberry root extracts, licorice extract, and Arbutin.
(All of the above ingredients can be found in the NeoStrata range)
A SPF 30 or higher that contains zinc oxide and/or titanium dioxide and remember to apply several times daily.
Sun avoidance (such as using a hat) as much as possible.
With the above regime you should start to notice an improvement within 2 months but one may need to continue treatments for 6 to 12 months for clearance.

Technology
Skin rejuvenation technologies today have an excellent removal rate of pigmentation in the hands of an experienced operator.
Lasers such as Fraxel can remove 80% or more of the pigmentation but the treatment may be painful and a minimum downtime of 5 days can be expected.
IPL and Bi-Polar Radiofrequency: Syneron eMax and eLight have excellent clearance results for pigmentation with very little discomfort and minimal downtime.
IPL: Ellipse has very good clearance rates of pigmentation.

I hope all of the above helps in your decision for removing the pigmentation.

1
Posted by: cha | 2008/08/13

hi
I stopped the Pill and the pigmentation appeared (and I am big on sunblock and hats). Now 31, my battle has been going on for the last 2 years. In August last year, i went for peels every 2 weeks till December. Did not see any results and started IPL treatment, by the second treatment I could see a difference but since, nothing, I subsequently started doing an enzyme treatment, peel IPL in once. The products are also very expensive and I am getting desperate now seeing the older I get the worse my skin gets. There is a big difference in my face and neck and this makes me very self conscious as I use to be able to walk around with no make up on. I am a part time model and do TV commercials, so in a way its my face does make me money–  I am contemplating going to the dermatologist who may give me a script for a bleach cream

Reply to cha