Question
Posted by: Vee | 2006/11/08

Picking at fingers and toes until bleed

I have these attacks where I pick at my nails fingers and toes until I bleed. I don't realise I'm doing it until I've hurt myself and I'm bleeding. I also only realise that I've had an "attack" the next day. Is this a disorder and can it be solved?

Dear Vee
Yes this is a kind of obsessive compulsive disorder and is easily treatable.
See http://www.psychnet-uk.com/dsm_iv/skin_picking.htm
Ask your GP to refer you to a psychiatrist so that they can give you a prescription for chronic medication and organize some behavioural therapy for you. This is quite common and nothing to be ashamed of as it is probably caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain and not really something you can always "control".

1
Posted by: Vee | 2006/11/09

Thank you so much for the feedback!

Reply to Vee