Question
Posted by: Norma | 2004/03/09

Physiotherapy

I have a 6 month old Basset Hound, he hurt his leg/shoulder and I took him to my vet. They took x-rays and nothing showed up with regards to a bone problem, he was given anti-
inflamatory injection and tablets. It didn't seem to work as he is still limping, I will take him back to the vet but I was wondering if there are any alternative routes to take like physio or swimming if it turns out to be a msucle, tendon injury?

I tried to find contact details on the net etc. but I was unsucsesfull. Could you maybe help me?

If the lameness is persistent, and the cause was not clearly defined, you now have several options. Firstly, if the vet is not sure, request referral to a specialist surgeon who can investigate further. Alternatively, you can seek alternative methods of treatment especially with acupuncture and swimming/Hydro therapy or physiotherapy, as you mentioned. Please repost your message and tell me in which part of the country you are, for possible referral to people that may be able to assist you. Alternatively, please phone the South African veterinary Council in Pretoria (tel 0123242392) or the South African Veterinary Association in Pretoria (tel 0123461150) for names of veterinarians that render this type of service in your area.

Dr Malan van Zyl
Veterinary Specialist Physician
Cape Town

1
Posted by: Davina | 2004/03/11

Norma,

T-Touch (Tellington Touch) is method of animal physio, which is very good and getting more popularin this country. Do an internet search for a therapist near you. If you don't come right, email at davinahg@hotmail.com and I will try to find you a number.

Reply to Davina